Artifact of the Week — July 1, 2021

Posted by on July 1, 2021

Batesville’s first post office was named Poke Creek, and Charles Kelly served as its first postmaster. The name was officially changed to Batesville on Jan. 7, 1824 with Hartwell Boswell as the appointed postmaster. Batesville‚Äôs post office has remained in continuous service since its beginning.

Completed post office. June, 1905
Completed post office. June, 1905

Photo 1: Completed post office. Main door with steps leading up to entrance faces Main Street. Flag on roof flies in the breeze. June, 1905. Can just barely see a woman & child on sidewalk; possibly a horseless carriage in front of post office – doesn’t appear to be a horse or mule that is pulling the carriage. (Powell/Guard collection)

lack and white photograph of the Batesville Post Office and Federal Building
Black and white photograph of the Batesville Post Office and Federal Building

Photo 2: An undated 8×10 black and white photograph of the Batesville Post Office and Federal Building located on the block bound by College Avenue, Fifth Street, Boswell Street, and Fourth Street. (The Bell Family collection)

Record Book of Complaints, Batesville Post Office, 1913-1926
Record Book of Complaints, Batesville Post Office, 1913-1926

Photo 3: Record Book of Complaints, Batesville Post Office, 1913-1926. First entry was on March 11, 1913 and final entry was on March 11, 1926. Page depicted is from June/July 1922. (Independence County Historical Society collection)

Comments are closed.